Ancient ayurvedic wisdom tells us that drinking warm milk with healing herbs and spices before bed will induce a restful and peaceful sleep. In Moon Milk, Gina Fontana presents 55 delicious plant-based recipes that will look beautiful, nourish your body and send you into a serene sleep to leave you waking up feeling rested.
We caught up with Gina who shared the recipe for her Pink Pitaya Moon Milk which you can check out below and try for yourself. For more information on Gina head to her Instagram page @healthylittlevittles.
- 2 cups almond milk, (to make your own, see recipe below)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pitaya powder/dragon fruit powder
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cardamom
- rose petals, (optional for serving)
Homemade Almond Milk
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 6 cups water , (preferably filtered/purified)
- 6 dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 cups filtered/purified water
- If you’re making your own almond milk you’ll need to start the night before by soaking your almonds in the 6 cups of water. If not, you can use pre-made almond milk and start right away. If making your own almond milk, you will need to a nut milk bag or cheesecloth to use as a strainer.
- In a small saucepan, heat 2 cups of almond milk on medium-high heat until it starts to turn frothy. Whisk in the remaining ingredients until dissolved. Optional garnish with dried rose petals and serve!
Homemade Almond Milk
- Soak 2 cups of almonds in 6 cups of purified/filtered water overnight (I keep mine in the fridge)
- Drain and rinse your almonds, then place them in a blender with dates, vanilla, salt, and 8 cups of water. Blend on high until the mixture is finely blended (about a minute)
- Position your nut milk bag over a large bowl or pitcher and pour the nut milk puree into the bag
- Twist and knead the bag gently, allowing for the filtered milk to collect until the pulp is dry
- Refrigerate and serve chilled, or use in this moon milk recipe!
You can find this and 54 other plant-based recipes in Moon Milk by Gina Fontana in her book Moon Milk.